Monday, October 7, 2013

Midterm 1: Part 1

To start with, here is an archive of all of my posts up until now:
So, really looking at my various blog posts, I am struggling to find a common thread. But, something that I am seeing a bit of is how institutions like Brigham Young University and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is implementing and taking advantage of available technologies. In my post about BYU and Technology, discussing some ways that BYU is moving forward, Prof. Burton commented, "Too often institutions simply buy a lot of tech and think they are on the cutting edge. But you can have technology and yet not be enfranchised in the digital civilization."
In class and in blog posts, I have seen and heard a lot of discussion about how a person creates a digital presence and how we create our internet personas, like one of my teammates Derrick discussed in his post Reflecting on My Internet Persona: A Caution. As I have been working as the senior editor on BYUs blog Stance and with a publishing company in Salt Lake starting their blog, I have been thinking about how a company or group creates an internet presence for themselves rather than just an individual.
My question that I am thinking of is, How can organizations utilize the technology that is available to them in a productive way, rather than creating an online presence for the purposes of having one? And how can these online personas of large groups like the Church be positively and in some ways negatively effected by this? How does this involve people with a "product" and what importance does this online presence have for an organization/company?

I think I just asked too many questions. 

1 comment:

  1. These were some of the very questions I've been wondering as well. In regards to how large organizations can be negatively affected, I think one of the large problems is that there are still those that are not tech-savy. While it's usually the older generations that struggle with this, I have friends who couldn't figure out their iphone for days after the update. If a company or organization that originally was not online converts EVERYTHING to an online platform, then they risk losing the customers or followers they once had. I think the Church is a great example of how to utilize the tools available online, but still have the traditional books, handouts, etc. for those that aren't familiar enough with technology.

    ReplyDelete