Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Proper Etiquette: Spoilers

I ran a search on Google looking for information on proper etiquette in dealing with spoilers. I know when I have seen this issue come up on Facebook, and on many other sites where movies or books are talked about. I believe if the content being discussed is recent you should give a spoiler warning before you comment. That seems like a given to me. Of course it all depends on the audience, are you in a more public place like Facebook or Twitter? If so it would be good to warn people. It you are in a more private sphere like a blog or forum, you might not need to give such warnings.

I found a good article here, that talks about this very issue, but in a way that i didn't see come up very often on my Google search. I saw a lot of articles or people talking about how they hate it when people give spoilers, but this article looked at the opposite side of the issue--people who want to talk about things and feel limited by those people who haven't seen the movie or television show yet. The article made some good points. You should be able to talk openly about something on any digital realm once that thing is old enough that most people should have seen it by now. Of course, there are some things you just don't talk about. Like the ending of The Sixth Sense or Lost. Or who did it in The Mouse Trap (the longest running play in London). The article blew that rule in order to prove its point, starting out by telling the reader "Rosebud is a sled." It is a good thing I have already seen that movie.

But when something is current, like breaking bad, it would be proper etiquette to warn before you spill the secrets all over Facebook and the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment