Monday, October 28, 2013

Remixing Humanity

I am fascinated by remix culture on multiple levels. The first level is the most well-known level among the majority of people: the remix music industry. The idea of remixing music really expanded in the 90's when DJ's became more and more popular, and then that evolved into things like song mashups. I love song mashups! My roommates and I will make mashups on our own, and we love finding more ideas like this:


Remixing then started to expand into other forms of media, as mentioned in this article. However, remixing also expands into mediums that are outside of digital media. For example, in class, Dr. Burton gave us the example that Milton's "Paradise Lost" was a remix of the Bible and a Homeric Epic, and in this case we see the remixing of different genres. Remixing can also happen across different mediums, as seen in things like audiobooks and the like.

But I want to take the idea of remixing a little bit further. Can remixes happen between people? Cultures? Ideas? Of course it can! It happens all around us, we just need to look for the different combinations that are being mixed together. One of the first things that I thought of was this blog post that I did a while back. At the time, I was talking about how to make a mark on, and influence the digital world. But I realized that the example I used of the virtual choir is also a remix. The people involved are all of different backgrounds, cultures, religions, you name it, but they were all combined to create something new. I also found this interesting video/article about how strangers can be mixed together to create a familiar feeling.

Just in the past week, I have found another layer of remixing that I find fascinating. I realized through my book preview that the topic of the human/technology relationship is in itself an aspect of remix culture. The novel that I am reading is all about how technology is influencing humanity, and it is actually becoming an actual part of humanity. Humans are being remixed. Is this a good thing? How are we supposed to react to this remixing of humanity? Do you even think it is a remix at all? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment