Sunday, October 27, 2013

Curating with Diigo

When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to use for this curation project, I decided that I wanted to use a tool that I had never tried out or heard of before, so I chose diigo. I started out by making a profile and wandering around the website a little to try and get a feel for what I was jumping into, but there isn't really that much on the actual diigo.com webpage. So, I next decided to watch the video tutorials. I figure that it would probably be way easier to use this site to its full benefit if I knew what I was doing rather then spending hours trying to figure it out on my own. 

As I've been searching around trying to find articles and websites that talk about my subject (which is still a little all over right now ranging from media, to editing, to web identity), diigo has been really interesting to work with. My favorite feature is being able to highlight and annotate articles and to archive articles. I read tons of stuff online everday and I feel like I am always telling someone, "I read this awesome article today, but I don't remember what it told me only the basic subject, and I don't remember where I found it." Useless, huh? With diigo, I can save articles to my online archive so that I can go back to them later, and with the highlighting feature, I don't even have to read the whole article again to remember what it was all about. Instead, I have some notes and some highlights that I can use to get the gist real fast (cause I already did the work to read it once, it's great that I don't have to read it again!). I really appreciate that all of this carries over to my iPad too since I mostly use my laptop at home and my iPad on campus, so I am swaping between the two a lot throughout the day. 

The next step that I need to take in using diigo is to start finding other people that are using this site that are interested in the same thing as me so that I can start piggybacking off of their research. It would be really useful to see what others are archiving and see how was others have already found can help me figure out what I need to be looking for an how to make my research more refined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment