Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Tool is Not the Thing (The Tool is Really Important Though)

Rusty tools -- I wouldn't want to live in a house made of hammers, but I'm glad hammers exist, so I can have a house. Creative Commons image by Biser Todorov.
Today's discussion in class made me think about how I want to steer my blog posts. A lot of what I and my fellow classmates have been writing about follow this logic:

"Digital [tools, culture, subjects] are [fun, neat, intimidating, ubiquitous]. [Literature, Moby Dick, life] is a lot like digital culture."

In other words, the subject has been digital culture -- not surprising or wrong, considering that is the name of the course. But today's discussion led me to realize that a course about digital culture could be a class "about" anything. In other words, the tools of blogs, social media, algorithms, and widgets can be applied to anything.

So I am starting to think about the kinds of significant projects I want to hone in on as the semester progresses. Whatever area I would find most useful, I look forward to using these tools to dive in.

I want to understand and become better at creative nonfiction writing. I am especially interested in radio production and storytelling. Of course, as a literature student I am always interested in analysis, close reading, and interpretation, but since I don't see myself headed in the direction of scholarship upon my graduation in December, perhaps my efforts may be best spent exploring realms of study that seem like the right match for my career.

Maybe I can curate the best nonfiction writers working today, and reach out to them for an interview about their field and craft. I could publish the interview as a resource for others who work in or study the field.

Maybe I can work to understand better the various sub-genres within creative nonfiction writing, and select representative examples from each, or even apply more traditional English Lit skills to them.

Maybe I will meet new people who are exploring the rich art form of radio production in interesting, grassroots ways, and by meeting them I may be inspired to join their efforts in a meaningful way of my own.

I am excited about these possibilities. And whatever I land on, I hope to make the most of digital tools available.

2 comments:

  1. I realized I fell into the same trap. I've been writing about all the possibilities these "tools" provide, but I haven't really been creating much with these tools. I'm excited to change that. Glad to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post here. Just puts into perspective that while we are using all these, are we actually "using" them? And not just for class assignments, but something much more personal. I certainly should be utilizing the sources I'm learning about in class for my own personal goals.

    ReplyDelete