Thursday, September 26, 2013

In Defence of the #Hashtag

Two of my blogging teammates, Sam and Melody, posted about hashtagging, and I decided I would weigh in on the debate too. I think that when used properly hashtags are excellent. I actually had a friend express annoyance with hashtags the other day, and I found myself defending to them and explaining how they can be very useful.
One of the things that I was explaining is how they can be helpful in grouping together pictures. For example, at a lot of weddings now they are selecting a specific hashtag for everyone to use on their pictures, like #smithwedding2013. This way the bride and groom can search for their hashtag, see, and save every picture that was taken at their wedding. I also use this method when I instagram pictures of my nephews and me. I always hashtag them #auntdani #babyjames or #babydaniel, that way I can quickly search through my pictures to see my cute nephews.
I did a little bit of research online to see some more reasons as to why an everyday user, not just someone trying to promote an event or brand would want to use hashtags. Well apparently there is a website called hashtags.org and they have an article on this very thing.
The reasons why this article explained it believes hashtags are useful to an everyday user are...

1. Gaining more followers

2. Engaging in conversations--As a humorous example, I had a friend start #mormonharrypotter and it created a hilarious thread imagining what it would be like if Harry Potter and his friends were Mormon.

3. Exchange content

4. Targeting users

5. Social analytics

The article gives some better descriptors of these and how they may be beneficial.

But, another thing that I found is how the Church is using hashtags to benefit its members, get topics trending, and increase interest in the Church. There is actually a Mormon Hashtag Recommendation page that was officially created by the Church. Who knew? It includes suggestions like #ldsconf (I'll be sure to use that one), #mormon, #PresMonson, #motab, and even #ldsage to be used when talking about the missionary age change.

So, yes, I know hashtags can get annoying, and a majority of the users are probably not using them to their greatest advantage. But, when you want to use them for good, they can be of great benefit.


2 comments:

  1. Hashtags certainly serve a useful purpose, but how do we get people to stop using them for annoying reasons? I can't scroll down my social media sites anymore without someone using a hashtag (or two or three) inappropriately. Do you think it comes down to them needing to be educated? Or have using hashtags for the sake of using hashtags become a bit of a fad that will eventually die?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it's a trend that is eventually going to go away. I've noticed in my twitter feed that a lot of people have already stopped using them, or are at least using them a lot more infrequently. So, I think that once this stops being "a thing" that hashtags will be used way more frequently for connecting, promoting, etc. rather than to just be #annoying.

      Delete