Monday, September 9, 2013

Niche dividends

The hyper-focus of the niche allows for great opportunities. Photo by Derrick Clements.
One element of digital culture that has rewarded me nicely is the potential for finding a niche. When I set out to create my podcast about Pixar animation, I had no idea that I would eventually find myself getting to interview Pixar employees, attract thousands of regular followers, or especially get invited to the studio myself. All that has happened because, it turns out, my own brand of crazy resonates with other people who otherwise, like me, would feel alone.

My reason for starting the podcast was simple: I loved this particular subject, and I noticed myself talking to everybody about it -- something that, fortunately for my friends, has diminished since I started the podcast, because now I have a more appropriate outlet. Four years after our first date, my girlfriend is glad she didn't run away (I think) after I spent a sizable amount of time on our first date telling her all about the founding and early years of Pixar. But I'm sure it was close.

Digital tools allow niche communities to develop because geographical limitations are blown away, and because content is searchable across wide databases. What was, in reality, one kid exuberantly celebrating Pixar into a microphone inside a closet surrounded by hanging clothes, became something that felt real.

Not everybody loves Pixar as much as I do. But enough people do to make my podcast a viable space for a community of listeners. And I have drawn upon my listeners' help many times. When it was time to create a new podcast intro based on a mash-up of favorite Pixar lines from movies, I reached out to them on Facebook and Twitter to offer suggestions for their favorite lines. Crowdsourcing the niche made my work easier, and I was sure to reach out to particular listeners whose suggestions ended up in the final piece.

Whatever the interest, digital tools provide an infrastructure for finding like-minded people, and can make hobbies and "likes" into something more constructive and real.

2 comments:

  1. Your post fits in nicely with the discussion we had on Wednesday. There are so many internet subcultures that have developed and that have the potential to develop because people can connect in ways they couldn't before. I think internet culture is fascinating. I love your line about "my own brand of crazy." I feel that way too whenever I connect with people over the internet about something I have a passion for. The internet can be a great way to feel like you're a part of a community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great example of the viability of niche communities and of how people can find like-minded people readily and productively. And a good example of crowdsourcing, too. I liked this: "Digital tools allow niche communities to develop because geographical limitations are blown away, and because content is searchable across wide databases."

    And Mary is right, the internet can be a great way to feel like you're part of a community: "my own brand of crazy" is a brand others buy into.

    ReplyDelete