Monday, September 23, 2013

Hashtags

      It has recently occurred to me that Hashtags are almost an exact replica of the way our brains respond to an image or phrase. That is, the thoughts that jump into our minds in reaction to said image or phrase. For example, let's say somebody posts a picture of a little puppy on Facebook. Your gut reaction will most likely be to think the picture is cute, or cuddly. Now what hashtags are allowing the person who uploaded that photo to do is direct your attention to the associations they made when they took the picture or first saw it. For instance, they might describe the photo by simply putting "#cute", and "#cuddly". These hashtags will lead you, if you click on them, to a whole group of cute photos, or a treasure trove of cuddly photos. That mirrors our own psychology. When we think a picture is cute we automatically associate (or think of) other cute images or photos we have seen. Or other memories that have been labeled and stored under the "cute" section in our brains.

       I think this is a good thing in the sense that  we are gaining more control. We can direct the viewer to have a response more similar to the desired response when looking at the picture we posted or when reading the phrase we wrote. This goes back to the concept of identity, and how we create our identity, how we build an intricate mask in the digital world (and in life too I guess, for we do have control over that).

     But could it be bad? Is there something about not being told what to thing that fosters a more genuine reaction from the viewer? Is there a sense of manipulation here?

10 comments:

  1. The idea of hashtags being manipulative is interesting because the first thing I thought of was an ugly baby. Maybe this is a harsh example but when someone posts a picture of their baby and uses the hashtags of #cute #cuddly #nextgerberbaby I don't exactly find myself manipulated. I think maybe hashtags can produce a polarized effect where peers either blatantly agree or disagree.

    #don'tworryilovebabies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when hashtags are used for sarcasm and hyper-text. If hashtags were really meant to manipulate us then they are being misused quite a lot. #hahaha #evilneverwins #onceagainyouarebrilliantlyundermined

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that when used properly hashtags can be incredibly effective. #when #used #like #this they can drive people (me) insane. As hashtags have become more popular they have creeped out of twitter and instagram and into facebook, and I even find myself using them in text messages to convey a funny meaning or sarcasm. It's an interesting notion to think of them as potentially being manipulative. But, I think that as long as people are using hastags to manipulate people in a positive way than I'm all for it. Perhaps if people start using hashtags to lead people to think negatively (like goodness gracious if someone had hashtagged #uglybaby as Brittany suggested) about someone or something, maybe that's where they start to get manipulative and become a bad thing. But, thankfully, I don't think that most people use them that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hate it when someone will use twenty hashtags for a picture on facebook and for some reason your brain won't let you go until you've read all of them. And of course the majority of them are ridiculous. I also agree that hashtagging has allowed for some good parodying, etc., and by providing relevant links to follow.

      Delete
  4. I recommend researching hashtags. They are considered a kind of informal metadata and create folksonomies. They are a critical part of making sense of online data, no matter how unserious much hashtagging may appear to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is certainly relevant, and in my opinion, hilarious!

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/536998?playlist_id=1031&asset_scope=all

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is certainly relevant, and in my opinion, hilarious!

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/536998?playlist_id=1031&asset_scope=all

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw a link to this same video on my Facebook home page, and I was going to post a link to it on this blog post until I saw that you beat me to it. :) It's funny to see how discussions about digital culture are popping up all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used that same video in a blog post to show how hashtagging can be a nuisance (albeit hilarious!) but there are also other ways of using hashtags as a form of manipulation. But I think that there are different levels of what hashtagging is. Some of it is superficial, and some of it can create deeper connections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is certainly a complex new form of communicating. With many sides to it.

      Delete