Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Can you fair use? A survey

I recently read a helpful book about copyright law, Reclaiming Fair Use (and you can read and see my review of the book here.)

One of the central ideas in the book is that copyright law is simple enough to use and understand, something that I think the book did its darndest to explain but still fell somewhat short. It's not them -- fair use is a little bit squiggly to really grasp.

So I made an unscientific but still illuminating poll to find out if I was not alone in thinking copyright law is tricky. I only got a couple dozen responses, but their answers articulate some of the most common reasons why fair use is hard to grasp. To clarify the law, I strongly recommend, again, Reclaiming Fair Use by Patricia Aufderheide and Peter Jaszi.

Thanks to all those who helped in the survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment