Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Altruistic Scholarship for Sam

Is it cheating that I am helping someone on my team? I hope not. So, Sam, here is some research for you. I know you have been looking into the Provo music scene which I also find fascinating. Plus, it's pretty cool to live in an area with so many incredible artists that are excited to showcase their talents.

Like this weekend they had the Cowboys & Indies show at Velour (article about it here). I remember you telling me you were going to the second night of it to see The Brocks (these are the only ones out of this group that I've heard of, and I really like them, but I'm partial because the keyboardist is a good friend of mine...), Westward the Tide, Toy Bombs, and Midas Whale). I actually ended up going the first night with some friends when Lake Island, L'anarchiste, Oceanear, and Bat Manors (they were my favorite) were playing.

It's interesting to see the ways that some of these bands are working on getting their names out. I have recently noticed a lot of Provo/Salt Lake area bands following me on twitter in an attempt to get some attention. I never follow back though and I am assuming most people are like me and don't, so maybe this isn't incredibly effective. But, at the same time, when my friend told me L'anarchiste was playing, my response was "Hey they just started following me on Twitter. I didn't know who they were, but now I do I guess!" So, it at least gets people to start recognizing their name, right?


Facebook is of course a huge way that bands are trying to spread the word about their music and my friends in the band Red Yeti worked with a local film maker/friend of theirs to create what they are calling a "microtrilogy." They had a premier party for it with close friends and then blasted Facebook with it to get the word out about who they are, their music, and their film maker friend. They are actually pretty cool videos if you want to check them out.


I've also noticed that a lot of the local bands are using Instagram to promote themselves. My friends in Robert & the Carrolls have been obsessively posting about their new EP. It maybe feels a little tedious after a few posts, but I can't blame them for trying to get the word out about their music. I've also noticed the same thing with Twitter where a band will follow me on Insta probably hoping that I will follow them back, and really with the exact same result as Twitter of me not following back. But, same thing where it at least starts to get some name recognition. 

So as a throw in at the end, here are some articles that I found about Provo music. You may have already seen some of them...





I'm really interested in how Provo has created such a vibrant and interesting music scene in the last while and can't wait to see what you come up with when researching this. Hope this was at least slightly helpful. Let me know if you find any bands worth giving a listen!




No comments:

Post a Comment